How to perform a back-up of your Dynamics 365 for Ops environment
The article below details the necessary steps to back-up your environment. It should be a wiki post but it’s too crucial to not be shared as a blog!
Stopping the Services:
- Login to the VM Machine via LCS
- Run Services.Msc
- Stop the following services:
- Microsoft Dynamics AX Batch Management Service
- Microsoft Dynamics AX Data Import/Export Framework Service
- Microsoft Dynamics Lifecycle Services Diagnostic Service
- World Wide Web Publishing Service
- Management Reporter 2012 Process service
- Open the IIS (Internet Information Services) Manager
- Expand the Server node:
6. then expand the “Application Pools”
7. Stop the following services:
8. Close all open windows.
Perform a Back-up of the AX Database:
- Open the “Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio” programme
2. Navigate to the AX Database
3. Right-click on the Database, select “Tasks” then “Back-up…”
4. Select the “Copy-only back-up” radio box.
5.Go to the “Backup Options” page:
6. Then change ‘Set backup compression’ to “Compress backup”:
7. Navigate back to the “General” page and remove the existing backup:
8. Then select “Add” (remember to suffix the file path with .BAK) AXDB_Year_Month_Day_Time.BAK e.g. AXDB_2016_11_01_1055.BAK.
9. Then select “OK” to execute the backup
10. The Progress area will show you how long until completion:
11. A window will appear once the Backup has completed successfully
12. Now close out of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
13. Now start back up the services (as well as the IIS services).
Your back up will be sitting in the SQL backups folder in the ‘My Computer’ root. This can now be uploaded to your LCS Project Asset Library.
Note: Remember to go through and re-enter any values stored in encrypted areas of the database such as :
- General ledger > Currencies > Configure exchange rate providers.
- Accounts receivable > Payments setup > Payment services
- Retail and commerce > Channel setup > POS setup > POS profiles > Hardware profiles